Dial-up Settings: Macintosh (MacOS 9.0)
PPP/Remote Access Setup
The PPP Control Panel is also known as Remote Access. The following instructions will help you set up PPP for the Macintosh.
Click on Apple Menu > Control Panels > Remote Access as shown in Example 1.1 below. It might say PPP instead of Remote Access.
Main PPP Window
The PPP screen appears as shown in Example 1.2:
- Put a dot next to Registered User.
- In the Name box, type your username.
- In the Password box, type your password.
- Put a check next to Save password, if you desire.
- In the Number box, type your local dialup number (found here). If you have mandatory 10-digit dialing, make sure you type the ENTIRE phone number in this box.
- Click the Options button.
- Click on the Redialing tab.
Here you can set your redialing preferences as shown in Example 1.3:
- Click the Redial dropdown list to make your choice.
- Click on the Connection tab.
The Connection tab is displayed as shown in Example 1.4:
- Put a check next to Connect automatically when starting TCP/IP applications.
- Put a check next to Flash icon in menu bar while connected.
- Click on the Protocol tab.
The Connection tab is displayed as shown in Example 1.5:
- Put a check next to Allow error correction and compression in modem.
- Put a check next to Use TCP header compression.
- Click the OK button.
- Close the PPP window completely.
Click on Apple Menu > Control Panels > TCP/IP (see Example 1.6). If you do not have TCP/IP, go here.
- In the Connect via drop down list, select PPP.
- In the Configure drop down list, select Using PPP Server.
- In the Name server addr box, type 22.214.171.124. On the next line, type 126.96.36.199.
- In the Search domains box, type airmail.net.
- Close this window. You can now skip to the end of this page.
Click on Apple Menu > Control Panels > MacTCP (see Example 1.7).
- Highlight the PPP icon, then click the More button (the icon might be called FreePPP or Config PPP).
More MacTCP PPP Settings
The following screen appears (Example 1.8):
- In the Obtain Address section, put a dot next to Server.
- In the Gateway Address box, type 0.0.0.0.
- In the IP Address section, select Class C.
- In the first two Domain boxes, type airmail.net.
- In the first IP Address box, type 188.8.131.52.
- In the second IP Address box, type 184.108.40.206.
- Click the OK button, then close the MacTCP window.
You should now be setup to connect to the Internet!