Dial-up Settings: Windows 2000
Creating a Windows 2000 Connection
If you do not have any software from Internet America, or the software is not available at the PC you are configuring, these instructions will help you get everything setup manually.
- Click on the Start Menu, choose All Programs, then choose Control Panel.
The Control Panel opens.
- Double-click on the Network and Dial-up Connections icon.
Network and Dial-up Connections
The Network and Dial-up Connections appears.
- Double-click on the Make New Connection icon.
Network Connection Wizard
The Network Connection Wizard is launched.
- To continue, click Next.
Select the Network Connection Type.
- Choose Dial-up to the Internet, then click the Next.
Internet Connection Wizard
Account Setup Options
The Internet Connection Wizard appears.
- Put a dot next to I want to setup my Internet connection manually..., then click Next.
Phone/Modem or LAN Connection?
Specify which connection type to use for your Internet service.
- Put a dot next to I connect through a phone line and a modem, then click Next.
Account Connection Information: ISP Phone Number
Step 1 of 3 Internet account connection information is displayed.
- In the Telephone number box, type your local telephone number (found here). If you have mandatory 10 digit dialing, make sure you type the COMPLETE phone number (i.e., 713-555-1212) in the Telephone number box.
- Remove the check next to Dial using the area code and country code.
- Click the Advanced button to continue.
Advanced Connection Properties: Connection Tab
The Advanced Connection Properties screen appears. Select the Connection tab if not displayed initially.
- Put a dot next to PPP (Point to Point Protocol).
- Put a dot next to None under the Logon procedure section.
- Click on the Addresses tab.
Advanced Connection Properties: Addresses Tab
On the Addresses screen, fill in the fields as follows:
- Put a dot next to Internet service provider automatically provides one.
- Put a dot next to Always use the following under the DNS server address section.
- In the Primary DNS server box, type 18.104.22.168
- In the Alternate DNS server box, type 22.214.171.124
- Click the OK button, then click Next.
Account Logon Information
Step 2 of 3 Internet account logon information is displayed.
- In the User name box, type your username.
- In the Password box, type your password.
- Click Next.
Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer is displayed.
- In the Connection name box, type Internet America, then click the Next button.
Mail Account Setup
If you have Outlook Express installed, you will be prompted with this window. If not, you can skip this screen.
- For now, put a dot next to No, then click the Next button.
Completing the Internet Connection Wizard
You have successfully completed the Internet Connection wizard.
- Uncheck the To connect to the internet immediately... box, then click the Finish button.
New Dial-up Connection
You will be returned to the Network and Dial-up Connections window where you should be able to see the newly created icon.
Your computer is now setup to connect to the Internet!
- To create a shortcut for this connection on your desktop, click on the File menu, then choose Create Shortcut.
- You should see an "error" message asking if you want the shortcut placed on your desktop. Click the Yes button.
- The shortcut should now appear on your desktop. Close the Network Connections. Once you locate the new icon on your desktop, double-click on it to connect.